The Bad Boys are back. After years of starts and stops in development, both Will Smith and Martin Lawrence confirmed on Instagram that they will be returning to the franchise for Bad Boys 3, officially titled Bad Boys for Life.
The sequel, which has been in development in different forms since Bad Boys II came out in 2003, finally started to take shape on October 1 when Variety reported that the duo of Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah would be directing the film. At the time, Lawrence’s involvement was not yet a sure thing, while Smith was “on board” to play the role of Detective Mike Lowrey for the third time.
Now, the partners are both back in action.
Smith made his return extra official with an Instagram video alongside Lawrence, who also said he would be back. While on the beach in Miami, where the Bad Boys films are set, Smith said, “It’s official, Bad Boys 3 is happening, it’s official.” Lawrence, who starred as Detective Marcus Burnett in the first two films, added afterwards that “We’re making it happen.”
Gabrielle Union, who starred in the sequel Bad Boys II, wouldn’t mind getting a call about returning:
👀 👀 👀 ☎️ https://t.co/6nb1JyV3oh
— Gabrielle Union (@itsgabrielleu) November 1, 2018
Here’s a look at the video:
An official Instagram profile for the movie has popped up, also confirming the news about Smith and Lawrence coming back:
Plot details have not come out about the movie, but Variety reported that writer Chris Bremner (The Wedding Ringer) has done a draft of the script, which was previously worked on by David Guggenheim and Joe Carnahan.
The first Bad Boys film was a wild financial success, making over $140 million worldwide on just a $19 million budget. The second film, Bad Boys II, had a much larger budget at $130 million, but still managed to bring in $273 million worldwide.
Bad Boys for Life is scheduled to open on January 17, 2020.